Marine Reserves Research Assistant
(Job Number: 507139)
Do you enjoy fieldwork, data analysis and working as part of a team? Would you like to work in a small town on the Oregon Coast? Then apply to join our team! We are currently recruiting to fill our Ecological Research Assistant (NRS1) position within the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW) Marine Reserves Program. We seek a marine scientist who enjoys working in a team setting with strong analytical, organization, and communications skills. This position will assist our team with at-sea fieldwork, designing surveys, data entry and management, data analysis, report writing, and outreach.
ODFW is responsible for the management and scientific monitoring of Oregon’s five marine reserve sites. Ecological monitoring by the ODFW Marine Reserves Program includes: oceanographic data collection, hook and line surveys; underwater visual surveys using ROV, video lander, SCUBA divers; juvenile fish recruitment surveys; and rocky intertidal surveys.
This position is based on the central Oregon coast in Newport, Oregon. Frequent travel within the state is required. This is a full-time, benefitted position. Salary is commensurate with education and experience ($3,187-$4,629 per month).
- Proficient in ArcGIS; able to formulate survey designs and analyze data.
- Proficient in Microsoft Access including database creation, manipulation, and query creation.
- Familiar conducting univariate and multivariate ecological statistics using PRIMER, R, JMP, etc.
- Able to work at-sea.
- Must possess and maintain a current, valid driver’s license.
- A Master’s Degree in Ecology, Oceanography, Marine Biology, or a closely related field
- Familiarity with Pacific NW Marine Species
- Understanding of marine ecosystem science and ecosystem-based approaches to conservation.
- Ability to lead collaborative data collection and small working groups to generate timely products.
- Familiarity with long-term ecological monitoring methods in a marine setting.
- Experience trailering, maintaining and/or operating vessels
Deadline to apply is Sept 30, 2019 by 11:59 PM Pacific
Must apply online through the Oregon Job Opportunities website: Natural Resource Specialist 1 (Marine Reserves Research Assistant-Newport)